Renewable Energy and Environmental
SHS has a very active Renewable Energy Practice group. We have experience representing large local renewable energy developers from start to completion on large solar and wind generating projects in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.
Solar, wind, and other forms of renewable energy constitute an ever-evolving market. Here at SHS, it is our focus to stay informed of the latest incentives, regulations, programs, financing objectives, laws, and opportunities in order to most effectively counsel our renewable energy clients.
Whether your project is a large scale solar generating facility, a wind turbine generating facility, or a small fuel cell project, we are here to provide guidance and support. We frequently work with local municipalities, National Grid, financing and tax equity partners, Engineers, Surveyors, Consultants, the Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources, and our clients, to provide advice, guidance, and support in the following areas:
- Land use and Zoning
- Municipal and state permitting
- Utility licenses and approvals
- Title Reports, Commitments and Owners/Lender Policies
- Net Metering Agreements
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Payment in Lieu of Taxes / Tax stabilization agreements
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate formation
- Land Acquisition, leases, subleases, easements, towns as co-tenants
- Landlord and Tenant Estoppels
- Project Development and Financing
- Tax Equity Financing
- Renewable Energy Growth Program
With regard to environmental issues, we offer full-service representation and litigation support within the complex ever changing world where environmental regulation and business intersect. SHS’s experienced and diverse team of legal professionals have proven success creating and developing strategies to mitigate the environmental risks faced by our clients and maximize opportunities in this highly regulated area.
We have experience representing clients on diverse environmental legal matters including:
- Environmental regulatory and compliance issues
- Zoning, permitting, and planning
- Energy issues
- Reviewing and drafting legislation
Our team has a proven reputation for bringing disparate groups together for solutions where all parties win. We remove the barriers our clients encounter to ensure and support the sustainability of their business.