Land Use and Zoning
The Land Use and Zoning Practice Group at Shechtman Halperin Savage, LLP consists of an exceptional team of attorneys and paralegals who understand and excel in all aspects of this complicated field. From traditional planning and zoning and building permit cases to complex development review and approval processes, we provide creative strategies and solutions that are tailored to the needs of each individual client.
We counsel developers, builders, governmental agencies, municipalities, non-profit institutions, and other local and national businesses on land use, zoning, development and subdivision projects. Our experience is invaluable for clients handling large mixed-use developments encompassing hundreds of acres or just an individual residential property. Our Practice Group staff works to achieve each client’s desired result using the most efficient method for that client, either through pre-litigation negotiations, mediation, arbitration, litigation, trial, and/or appeal.
Development and Regulatory Approvals – Beginning with planning and zoning and extending through the administrative land use process, we work with each client, technical consultant, and regulator to maximize value and achieve timely results for our clients. These development and regulatory review processes may include:
- Master (comprehensive) Plan representation
- Zoning Applications — including floating, overlay, planned unit, performance and mixed-use zones
- Variance and Special Use (conditional use) applications
- Preliminary Plan of Subdivision and Record Plats
- Project Plans, Sketch Plans and Site Plan applications
- Forest Conservation Plans, Stormwater Management Plans, and Sediment & Erosion Control Plans
- Adequate Public Facility Review —Traffic and School Capacity Studies, Management Plans, Agreements and Exactions
- Affordable Housing Agreements (Moderately Priced Dwelling Unit (MPDU) ¬ Agreements)
- Transfer Development Right (TDR) Easements, Building Lot Termination (BLT) Easements, Developer Rights and Responsibilities Agreements (DRRA’s)
- Credits and Agreements related to impact fees, linkage fees and development mitigation fees
- Water and Sewer Authority Regulations
- Permit Applications
Zoning and Land Use Analysis: If you’re looking to purchase, remediate, or sell an individual property, multi-parcel project, or large asset pool, SHS can analyze regulations on the property, help you understand any restrictions, and prepare any materials that are needed for the purchase, remediation, or sale. We also help lenders by researching local zoning laws, preparing zoning opinion letters, and reviewing the zoning opinions of others.
Local and State Advocacy: Our Land Use and Zoning attorneys in the northeast region build and maintain professional relationships with legislative and administrative leaders, decision-makers, and regulatory staff at the local and state level. These important relationships have helped to boost our successes in advantageously shaping local policies and regulations on behalf of our clients. We regularly advocate for our clients in the following areas:
- Comprehensive Planning/Master Plans
- Zoning Text and Subdivision Regulation Amendments
- Water and Sewer Plans
- Annexations and Annexation Agreements
- Growth Regulations and Staging Policies
- Legislative Advocacy
Litigation and Appeals: When litigation cannot be avoided, our lawyers navigate our clients through the administrative and regulatory process before zoning boards, review boards, planning boards, appeal boards, and through matters in the state and federal courts.