Girard R. Visconti
Co-Chair – Construction Law Practice Group
Jerry Visconti graduated from Providence College (B.A. 1965 and Suffolk University Law School (J.D. 1968). He practices in all areas of litigation and business law with particular emphasis on construction consulting and litigation, business and commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation, and matters at trial and appellate levels, including employment, construction and commercial litigation. Jerry brings over 40 years of legal experience to the firm. He is admitted practice in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, as well as before the U.S. District Courts for the Districts of Rhode Island and Massachusetts, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
As one of the leading experts in construction law in the state, Jerry has been instrumental in the drafting and passage of the Mechanics’ Lien statute and other laws pertaining to the construction industry. He is also the legal counsel for the Rhode Island Subcontractors Association (RISA). Mr. Visconti represents owners, developers, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors and suppliers.
Mr. Visconti also serves as a mediator/arbitrator.
Jerry has been both a member and chair of the Judicial Nominating Committee, is President Emeritus of the Whitmarsh Corporation, and has received numerous awards for his achievements in both the legal community and the private sector. Jerry very much enjoys cooking and has self-published a cookbook of his favorite recipes.
- Waiver of Consequential Damages
- “Keep the Defective Product or Workmanship/Spoliation of Evidence”
- “Subcontractor Red Flag Checklist-Girard Visconti”
- “Partner, Girard Visconti, “Misclassification of Employees”
- “Girard Visconti-La Cucina di Gennaro R. Visconti”
- “Mediate, Arbitrate, or Litigate” (RI Lawyers Weekly)
- “Death of Public Bid Protest in Rhode Island” (Rhode Island Bar Journal)
- “Outline of the Law Relating to State Purchases” (Rhode Island Bar Journal)
- “Arbitration May Help You Collect Faster” (McGraw-Hill Publications)
- “Everyone Needs a Medical Advocate”
- “There is a Need for a Court Lobbyist”
- “Employee Leasing”
Awards & Distinctions
- Martindale-Hubbell 2018, 2019 Register of AV Pre-eminent Lawyers Award, the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell rating in both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards reflecting the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary.
- American Registry as published in Best Lawyers have selected Mr. Visconti as “One of the Best Construction Attorneys in Rhode Island” for the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- The Providence College Reverend Charles B. Quirk Award, and on behalf of the Quirk Institute and Industrial Relations in Providence College, with special emphasis on Construction and Labor Law
- Rhode Island Supreme Court Award in recognition of serving as Chair of the Judicial Nominating Commission
- Justinian Law Society Pro Bono Award
- Outstanding Leadership and Dedicated Efforts Award on behalf of Whitmarsh House (A Safe Haven for Boys)
- 1965 Providence College – B.A. Economics
- 1968 Suffolk University – J.D.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Rhode Island Courts
- Massachusetts Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Rhode Island and Massachusetts Bar Associations
- American Bar Association, Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- R.I. Bar Association Committee: Labor
- Executive Secretary & General Counsel, Rhode Island Subcontractors Association 1970
- Panel of Arbitrators, Labor, American Arbitration Association
- Panel of Arbitrators, The Labor Relations Connection, LLC
- Guest Speaker, Roger Williams University School of Law, Seminars on Construction and Architectural Law
- Past President, Italian-American Foundation for Medical Education
- Past President Emeritus, Whitmarsh Corporation (A Safe Haven for Boys)
- Executive Board Member, St. Thomas More Society
- Governor, Board of Governors, Rhode Island Hospital, 2008
- Member, Rhode Island Commodores
- Chair, Judicial Nominating Commission, 2000 to 2007
- Member, Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America