Preston W. HalperinManaging Partner
Chair – Business and Civil Litigation Practice Group
Mr. Halperin is one of the firm’s founding partners and is the Managing Partner of the firm. Mr. Halperin is also the Chair of the firm’s Business and Civil Litigation Practice Group. Admitted to practice law in 1981, Mr. Halperin focuses his practice on real estate development, business litigation, including contract disputes, construction litigation, environmental litigation, shareholder disputes, closely held business disputes, creditors’ rights, and receiverships and business insolvencies. Mr. Halperin is also well versed in the ever changing and emerging fields of solar energy and medical marijuana. He is admitted to practice law in all state and federal courts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, in the state court in New York, and in the First Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Halperin earned his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law in 1981, and his B.A., cum laude, from the University of Rochester in 1978. Mr. Halperin has been appointed by the Supreme Court to the Rhode Island Receivership Panel, and in 2014, 2015, and 2016 has served as an appointed member on the Rhode Island Commission on Judicial Tenure and Discipline.
- Litigating Closely Held Business Disputes and the Application of Rhode Island’s Receivership Statute, submitted in 2009, Rhode Island Annual Bar.
- Conflicts of Interest When Representing Closely Held Businesses and Their Owners, submitted in 2012, Rhode Island Annual Bar.
- Appeared on the Newsmakers for Channel 12 News to discuss Massachusetts Politics Surrounding Marijuana Legalization.
- Appeared on Turn to 10 to discuss “Will Rhode Island Legalize Marijuana?”
- Joined Rhode Island Public Radio’s Dave Fallon to discuss “The Business Of Marijuana, As Recreational Pot Comes To Massachusetts”
- Discussed with Providence Journal “Should You Invest in the Pot Business”
- Presented a CLE Training Seminar for the Rhode Island Bar Association, on the Current Status of Marijuana Law in Rhode Island, on May 4, 2017.
- Marijuana Seminar Outline
Awards & Distinctions
- AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Mediation; Certificate of Completion of Civil Mediation Workshop
- Rhode Island, Certified Appointment to Receivership Panel
- 2014, 2015, and 2016 has served as an appointed member on the Commission on Judicial Tenure and Discipline in Rhode Island
- 1981 Columbia University School of Law, Juris Doctor
- 1980 Harvard Law School, Visiting Student
- 1978 University of Rochester, B.A., Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Rhode Island
- New York
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Rhode Island Bar Debtors’ and Creditors’ Rights Committee